MADURAI SEED's summer camp: The most awaiting event of Madurai Seed, Vasantham Camp was conducted from 30.04.2016 to 05.05.2016 for six days at Kambam, a country side nearly 100 kilometers away from Madurai. This residential camp took place at St. Mary’s Martic School in Kambam.
Here come the camp tidbits:
- Everyday started at 5.00Am and closed at 10.00Pm, from wakeup to bedtime things were planned effectively and enjoyable.
- The camp was comprised of many sessions like exercises, yoga, personality development seminars, fun games, picnics, cultural programs, arty crafty events like Warli painting, paper crafts, paper lantern, and crafts from waste things.
- Totally 90 people participated in the camp. Among 78 are children. They were divided into 6 teams. 12 volunteers assisted the teams. 5 volunteers worked as organizers.
Participated Children : 78 Team Volunteers : 12
Organizing Volunteers : 05 Staff : 02
Cooking crew : 03
The camp accommodated 100 people.
- · Tasks like saying thought for the day, providing tea, serving food, fetching water, cleaning, daily report writing, daily feedback collection, first-aid, compering were divided between the teams each day.
- · Elavarasi took the role of camp director ideated the activities, and planned. She conducted 6 different types of activities, fun games, and exercise sessions. Karthikbharathi took care of the organizing side, and facilities. He was further assisted with Volunteers Ramki, and Nagarjun. Photos were captured by volunteer Vignesh. Food preparation was overtaken by Velumani and team.
- Jessy Mathews, Head Mistress of St. Mary’s School inaugurated the camp. Our Trustee Teacher. Ms. Mariammal took part in the valedictory program.
- As speakers and visitors 15 people took part in the camp taught the input sessions, observed the craft things, and encouraged the children.
- Social values, hard work, perseverance, self-confidence, physical work, natural resources, women achievers, and geographical details about Kambam valley, Suruli falls, and Mullai-Periyar dam were given as input sessions.
- Children enjoyed the picnics to Suruli falls, and Mullai-Periyar.
- The village people and St. Mary’s school children witnessed the art and craft things every day.
- Grapes, the specific produce of Kambam were distributed to children.
- The camp was executed well in line with the objectives of Madurai Seed such as enriching creativity, spending productive time, love for nature, doing physical work, working in teams, enhancing self-confidence, being self-expressive, and being happy.
- This was Madurai Seed's 10th summer camp in the name of Vasantham. We thank Friends of Madurai Seed for helping us to conduct the camp successfully every year. We also thank Prof.Prabhakar, Head mistress. Jessy Mathews, Teachers Sathyaraj and Bhaskar for their help.
Thank you all.
Lots of love from Madurai Seed children and young people
Report by: K. Karthik, B.Sc, Maths, Second Year.